Vegetarian dinner??!!!! Say What?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010


Being Afrikaans and growing up in the Free State the word Vegetarian is "foreign" to me when it comes to my cooking skills.  Eeek! I know.  Hubby has been trying years to convince me that only eating veggies for dinner is perfectly normal and matter of factly healthier than my HAVE TO HAVE MEAT in every dish or it's not food.  So I decided last night to try this lovely recipe I saw in the Ideas Magazine.

Spinach and feta Parcels

Serves HUBBY

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes or until golden brown
Oven temperature: 200 °C

Ingredients:

  • Butter!
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 500g spinach, chopped
  • 100g feta, crumbled
  • 5ml garlic & herb seasoning
  • 4 sheets phyllo pastry
  • more Butter! Melted
  • home made tzatziki
  • toasted pine nuts

Heat the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the onion until soft.  Cook the spinach for two minutes in a pot of rapidly boiling water. Drain and mix in the onion and feta cheese. Season with garlic and herb seasoning. Divide mixture into two portions.  Brush a sheet of phyllo pastry with the melted butter, place another sheet on top and also brush with butter.  Cut in half and place a portion of the spinach mixture on each half.  Fold together and tuck in the sides to make a rough round shape of each half.

Place the parcels onto a greased baking sheet, brush with a little melted butter and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, depends on your oven

To serve:
Place parcels in the middle of the plate, spoon some tzatziki over and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.  


Hubby licked his plate clean, shame he is clearly starved for Vegetarian dishes, or it might just be the 2 hour basketball game he played after work.  I on the other hand indulged in a whole chocolate bar by myself.  Gulp Gulp.  Seriously?  Did you really think I was going to try out a Vegetarian meal??!  Hahahah, silly silly.

Match made in heaven: Diemersfontein Chenin Blanc  & Spinach and feta Parcels. So I hear.  Last night's bottle went down smoothly with chocolate, I need a STEAK! sigh ... enough of this rabbit food.

Cheers all

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © poppysmic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.